Saturday, December 15, 2018

THE YEAR OF THE KITCHEN SINK

THE YEAR OF THE KITCHEN SINK

It is the month of December, the month of celebrations and expectations. Two days ago, I was in Uyo, the beautiful capital of Akwa Ibom State. It was tough to get a place to sleep. Every room in Uyo was "fully booked"! Yesterday, I left Calabar which is a little quieter than it normally is at this time of the year. Apart from the many billboards and buntings on 'Highway' proclaiming that Governor Ayade is working, I did not feel the normal excitement of Calabar in the season. Maybe, it is on the way.

This time, last year, I had also been to Calabar in the service of the members of my COSON family. I came back to Lagos to find that some of the people I considered my best friends had in my absence conspired against me and set up a coup. The guys whom I love like members of my biological family had fabricated lies upon lies against me and bent the truth which they spread around to turn me into what they know I am not. When I looked into their blood shot eyes, I saw man for what he is.

In the last one year, the kitchen sink has been thrown at me. They have also thrown the bath tub, the toilet bowl and any smelly stuff they can concoct. Police! SARS! NCC! EFCC! Account Freeze! Criminal Action! Defamation! etc., etc.!

Why has none of it worked? I am a very lucky man, very-very lucky. Silver and gold I do not have but the Almighty has blessed me in so many other ways I consider more precious than silver and gold. I thank the Almighty for the incredible protection he has given me in many trying situations that would have sunk many men. For a guy who does not go to church much, it is a miracle!

Today, I dedicate this column once again to the thousands of COSON members across the country whose prayers and support have given me joy no money can buy. I appreciate you because without your faith in me, I will not be standing. You have refused to eat the rubbish cooked by people who would rather spend their time destroying than building.

I thank the members of the COSON Board who have shown me camaraderie beyond what anyone in my position can expect. Thank you, my brother, Sir Shina Peters, Kenny Saint Brown, the immovable Honourable John Udegbunam, Azeezat Allen, Maureen Uso, Eng. Sharon Esco Wilson, the great Richard Cole, the brilliant Uche Emeka Paul and the good Evangelist, Olusegun Omoyayi.

I thank my brother and friend, the great Ras Kimono who stood firmly by me till his last day on earth. May your great soul and the soul of Efe, your heart throb, continue to rest in peace.

Someone, please help me to thank a patriot like no other, Prof. (Sir) Victor Uwaifo, Prince Biodun Eguakhide and the good members of COSON in Edo State, who threw tribalism to the wind and fought against the injustice that was visited on me. Because of their commitment and dedication, COSON is by far a much stronger organization today than it has ever been.  

I assumed the title of COSON Chairman in the course of the work which I have dedicated my life to. My dedication to the cause has never been because of a title or because of personal wealth. I have written in Saturday Breakfast before that I verily believe that the true worth of a man is not in what he takes but in what he gives. I have always asked the Almighty to give me an opportunity to give to as many as possible. Anyone who has worked with me will tell you that I give my all to every assignment I undertake. I am a builder.

I have also written in this column that if had become a janitor or a security man, I would have dedicated myself as much as I have dedicated my life to leading COSON.

On December 7, 2017, it was suddenly announced by some of my colleagues on the COSON Board had picked someone else as Chairman of COSON. Despite the fact that I did not agree with the lack of due process, I took my lap top and left COSON House. I did not complain to anyone. I did not quarrel with anyone. I did not insult anyone. Next day, I addressed the staff of COSON on speaker phone and asked them to go about their duties with confidence and pride and even work harder for the organization than they had done with me as chairman.

For as long as I live, I will never forget December 19, 2017 when COSON members after 12 days of my absence ushered me into COSON House with thunderous ovation and overwhelming kindness. Of course, I cried in public. I cried because not many people live to witness such profound recognition and appreciation of their effort and sacrifice.

When the COSON General Assembly took the decision which they expressly have the right to take under our rules, to annul the decision of the board, I believed that the handful of members of our former board who planned the coup against me, would act like true democrats and sportsmen, appreciate that they played a high stakes game and lost and reintegrate themselves into the family.

There are people who have asked me why I have refused to reply the falsehood they have spread about me. In Igbo land, we have a saying that if you have undressed to have your bath and a mad man comes in and runs away with your clothes, if you decide to run after the mad man naked, no one will know the difference.

Once again, I thank the members of COSON across the country, our affiliates, management and staff, consultants, licensees, service providers and many friends of COSON at home and abroad. I appreciate you because without your unflinching support in the year of the kitchen sink, I will not be standing today.

With tears in my eyes, I pledged that I will never let you down. I will never. Merry Christmas everyone.

See you next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment