Saturday, May 9, 2020

MY FRIEND, PROF EGERTON UVIEGHARA IS 84!

Professor Egerton Uvieghara, outstanding intellectual, retired erudite Professor of Law at the University of Lagos, former Chairman of the Governing Board of the Nigerian Copyright Commission, former Commissioner at the Nigerian Law Reform Commission, detribalized Nigerian and man of great character and unquestionable integrity, celebrates his 84th birthday today.

In January 2020, I made a promise to Prof Uvieghara who played a frontline role at the commissioning of what is now referred to as the "magnificent" COSON House in Ikeja. I told him that on the 9th day of May 2020, which is today, I would host a significant red-carpet birthday bash in his honour at COSON House to thank him for his indelible gift to the Nigerian creative community.

I had started conceptualizing the event. I had started making plans for what I had hoped would be a talk-of-the city occasion. OMG! COVID 19 came from wherever to scatter the world and make nonsense of our plans.   

If you know Professor Egerton Uvieghara well, you might be offended and ask who gave me the audacity to refer to him as my friend. I will not be surprised if somebody even accuses me of name dropping.

Before you get angry, let me say that I did not on my own decide to call this extra-ordinary Nigerian my friend. His repeated and consistent behavior towards me which has lasted decades assures me that Prof will take no offence with my reference to him as my friend.

Prof Uvieghara is one Nigerian who has fully supported the work that I do and understands my dream for the Nigerian creative family and shares the value of giving one's all to what one believes in.

When I became President of PMAN at the age of 29, I had announced that the struggle for a more meaningful copyright regime in Nigeria would be the work of my life and so began a campaign driven by all the passion I could muster.

I had just turned thirty when I met Professor Uvieghara at what used to be called Durbar Hotel in Lagos during a massive copyright seminar floated by the Federal Government following the agitation which I led. Prof Uvieghara was a key resource person at the seminar at which I presented a paper. After the seminar, a committee was set up to draft a new copyright law for the country. Prof Uvieghara was chairman of the committee in which I served with the late great Professor Vincent Chukwuemeka Ike as rapporteur. For weeks, we were locked down at Durbar Hotel as we argued about every 'is' and 'was' and crafted what ultimately became the Nigerian Copyright Law. During that lock down, a relationship developed.

When the Nigerian Copyright Council, as it then was called, was set up, Prof Uvieghara was appointed first Chairman of the Governing Board. I was also appointed to the board as was the late Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike.  It was decided that a first amendment needed to be made to the Copyright Law, Prof Uvieghara and myself were given the marching order by the NCC Board to draft the amendment. Once again, we were locked down, this time at Gateway Hotel Otta with one Bayo Ayegbusi, a member of staff of the commission as our secretary. As we argued and worked on the document, what once was admiration became a friendship. The story of how I ended up as Prof. Uvieghara's student at the University of Lagos is one I will tell some other day.

When I finished the manuscript of my book, "Copyright & the New Millionaires", I took it to Prof Uvieghara to edit. After several weeks, he told me that he had read the manuscript several times over and did not find the need to add a coma or a full stop. Prof. Uvieghara wrote an exhilarating forward to the book.

Two weeks ago, in Saturday Breakfast, I wrote that Nigeria's Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama is in the list of my ten favorite Nigerians. Prof Egerton E. Uvieghara who has positively touched the lives of so many Nigerians, is firmly in that list.

I recall when I hosted the Hon. Minister of Information & Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed at the "magnificent" COSON House in 2017. Prof Uvieghara also arrived for the reception in honour of the minister. I then sought to introduce the Prof to the Minister and the Minister rebuked me with the words, "the gentleman you are trying to introduce to me was my teacher at the University of Lagos" At the event, I found out that Prof Uvieghara also taught Prof Yemi Osinbajo, Nigeria's Vice President, at the University of Lagos. This incredibly unassuming Nigerian has taught many senior advocates, many professors, many judges of courts across the country including judges of the Supreme Court. Some of his students include the late Supreme Court Justice Niki Tobi and Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun currently at the Supreme Court. In fact, if you are an outstanding Nigerian lawyer, chances are that you have been taught by Prof. Egerton Uvieghara or by someone taught by Prof. Uvieghara.

Prof. Egerton Uvieghara is not just the nation's foremost expert in Copyright Law, he is the doyen of Labour law in Nigeria. In fact, he is the author of the book titled "Labour Law in Nigeria" which has been read by every serious legal professional, academic and law student in Nigeria and which book defines the sensitive relationships between employers, employees and trade union officials. It is also safe to say that a lot of statutes in Nigeria will not be what they are today without the special imprint of the great Egerton Uvieghara.

At 84 years old this unmatched Nigerian still drives himself in the mad traffic of Lagos, still goes to the market and cooks his meals. If you think that is because he cannot afford a driver or a cook, you are wrong. Maybe, he is too frugal? There also you are wrong because Prof. Uvieghara remains a jolly good fellow who loves the good life and his glass of wine and a lot of laughter. His lifestyle defines the simplicity of a completely satisfied man who does not envy anyone and wants nothing from anyone and does not need any attachment to impress anyone or to make him feel like a big man as defined by many Nigerians. While I pop a pill now and again, I have never heard 'Prof' complain of any kind of illness. Every day I learn something new from this extra-ordinary Nigerian who continues to be my teacher.  

Professor Egerton Uvieghara read law at the London School of Economics (LSE) and was called to the Bar in 1964. Two years later, he joined the University of Lagos as a law teacher specializing in Labour Law, Commercial Transactions and Copyright.

Do me a favour everyone. Let's shame coronavirus. Wherever you are, please raise a toast today to this truly outstanding Nigerian, my teacher and my friend, the great Professor Egerton Uvieghara. As you do so, may God bless you with old age and good health as he has blessed Prof. Egerton Uvieghara.

See you next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment